Earlier this year, I was selected as one of NAMAC’s (National Alliance for Media, Arts & Culture) Creative Leaders. This week, we were all invited to the Sundance Mountain Resort in Utah, in order to participate in a Creative Leadership Lab. We were able to learn new leadership practices, connect with each other and receive medicine from this powerful land. There is something very profound about being able to “elevate” approximately 5,000 feet, to really gain perspective and see the bigger picture.
Here are ten of the quotes I’d like to remember, from my fellow Creative Leaders and our facilitators. You can learn about each of the people listed below and their work here (scroll down about half a page to see their photos and read their bios).
(1) “Strategy is about not doing things so you can decide what to do.” – Melinda
(2) “Reach from the place of injury.” – Jane
(3) “Keep asking the question in different polite ways.” – Pamela (Actually nails a dictator).
(4) “To conspire, means to breath together.” – Gibran
(5) We live in a world of VUCA (volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity). – Gibran
(6) “Vida es arte.” (Translates into life is art) – Marisol
(7) “In the final analysis, when the s*** hits the fan, you do a show.” – Vashti
(8) “As we lose civility, we lose respect.” – Pamela
(9) “It is ok and necessary to take care of myself.” – Natasha
(10) “Who you really are, is all you have to offer.” – Vashti
Here are other things I’d like to remember:
(1) The comfy linens – I literally slept like a baby!
(2) The crisp (and clean) mountain air.
(3) The love of Colombia (specifically Cartagena, which is a place my husband fell in love with earlier this year. I’d call that confirmation!)
(4) The power of story
(5) The power of solitude
(6) The power of eye contact (and looking at and into a person rather than through a person).
(7) The healing and refreshing power of tears.
(8) The power of breath (I think I am going to incorporate meditation into my daily life).
(9) The importance of community and feeling connected.
(10) The privilege of time and space to step away from the daily routine.
Over the next few weeks, I will delve deeper into my experience and process what I’ve learned on my trip, but I wanted to share.