Here are some links from around the web that I’ve found that may be useful or interesting to you.
1. 150 + Lunch Ideas – great for yourself or your children. Step outside of the sandwich box! With photos and everything! http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUd
2. How to Create An Organized Linen Closet – I’m not even going to discuss the shape my linen closet is in right now. So much stuff! http://honeywerehome.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-create-organized-linen-closet.html
3. 4 Essential Tips for Managing the Family Calendar – my current weapon of choice is iCal and color-coding each family member so that we can quickly know who is doing what each day. The calendar syncs to both my husband’s phone and my phone so we’re always on the same page. http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/4-essential-tips-for-managing-the-family-calendar.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifeHack+%28lifehack.org%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
4. 35 Quick & Simple Tips for Better Productivity – There is definitely a theme this week with the links. Can you tell I’m going back to work soon lol? http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/35-quick-and-simple-tips-for-better-productivity.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feedutm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifeHack+%28lifehack.org%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
5. Free Home Management Printables – Do you have a home or family organization binder? Mine has been a lifesaver. http://home.yourway.net/new-home-management-printables-one-page-calendar-bill-pay-tracking-home-inventory-more/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=new-home-management-printables-one-page-calendar-bill-pay-tracking-home-inventory-more
If you don’t have a home organization binder you can read more about creating one here: https://donnienicole.com/2010/06/27/project-organization-home-management-binderfamily-binder/
In response to the escalating violence my husband, along with the Black Youth Project created a CD Called “The Pledge” Mixtape. The goal is to highlight artists (mostly youth) who AREN’T glorifying violence, sex and drugs. There are artists that you’d recognize like my husband Rhymefest, Lupe Fiasco and Mikkey Halsted + others. Download the project for free here: http://action.blackyouthproject.com/pledge-mixtape/. My favorite tracks are “Pain” (Track 8), “Letter” (Track 10) and R.O.A.R. (Track 11).
Hope you enjoy the links this week!
This is not a music blog, but sometimes I come across music that moves my soul and I can’t help but share. Today, Tuesday, August 7, 2012 is a wonderful day. TWO divas are releasing full albums that you must buy!!!! These women have incredible voices, inspiring and touching lyrics and they’re both beautiful.
I discovered Lianne La Havas thanks to my dear husband who played a song called “Night School” for me. I’ve been stalking the internet to find more music by her and out of nowhere her album Is Your Love Big Enough pops up next to the album I was looking for on I-tunes. It was released in the UK on July 6th (my boo’s birthday) and is probably just now seeing a US release. If you like Adele, you will LOVE her! Her lyrics are incredible:
I’ve loved Elle Varner every since I heard her jamming “Can I get a re-fill?” Her music is fun and like Lianne, she has a great voice with superior range. Her full album Perfectly Imperfect dropped today and it’s only $7.99! Seriously?!
Thank me later and go buy both albums now!!!!!
I love hip hop! I’m married to the best rapper alive (Rhymefest of course!). I heard this song by Lupe and I have to share it. Music can be a powerful tool for social uplift. I admire Lupe because he’s never afraid to call a spade a spade (<— did you check my rhyme?)! Listen to it and let me know what ya’ll think:
As a reward for completing my first semester final grades I decided to finally put together my free Guide for Scrapbooking: How to Scrapbook. Here is a screenshot of the cover:
Over the last few months I’ve come across so many women who ask me “How can I get started?” “Where can I shop for supplies?” or “What do I need to get started?” This free e-book is designed for the novice who’d like to finally take that box of photos and put something together. It is the first of many to come and some of the chapters are entitled:
1. Basic Supply List
2. Advanced Supply List
3. Places to Shop
4. Where To Look For Inspiration
at only 11 pages it’s a quick read loaded with photos from my own collection. Please download it and share it with others and most of all, let me know what you think about it!
To get your free copy of How to Scrapbook click here: https://donnienicole.com/for-sale/
Here are some interesting links around the web:
1. DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension) Diet voted best overall compared to 25 of the most popular diet plans for 2012. http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012/01/dash-diet-named-best-overall-could-it-work-for-you/. I have high blood pressure, so I’m going to be working on this for the upcoming year!
2. Breast Feeding & Pumping At Work Now Protected By Federal Law http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012/01/breast-feeding-and-pumping-at-work-now-protected-by-federal-law/ – Huge SCORE for moms!
3. Scott Dinsmore’s FREE 2012 Goal Setting & Action Workbook: http://liveyourlegend.net/free-2012-goal-setting-guide/ <—— Scott gives wonderful, practical & inspiring advice. I’ve been using his tools for the last two years!
4. Black Church owns a KKK Store in South Carolina? Would you call that poetic justice? http://www.christianpost.com/news/black-southern-church-claims-kkk-building-as-their-own-66307/ (I wish I was making that up)
5. Gangs & Politicians in Chicago: An Unholy Alliance http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2012/Gangs-and-Politicians-An-Unholy-Alliance/. During our city council campaign, my husband was falsely called a gang member – almost one year later we find out the truth. This is indicative of many of the issues in the African American community! We need to clean up our own houses before we start parting the finger toward others…
In about 2 1/2 hours I will be off for the next 12 weeks! I’m celebrating with my Summer Manifesto (a list of things I plan to do/accomplish over the summer).
For those who can’t view the image here is the list (not necessarily in order of priority).
- Finish Campaign Scrapbook
- Finish Mom’s Scrapbook
- Finish Websites (DonnieNicole.Com LINKS, Launch Site For Teachers, Launch DearLittleSis.Com)
- Find Latino Novel for 9th Graders
- Plan for National Boards
- Plan A.P. Comp Curriculum
- Get a Sephora Makeover
- Get a MAC Makeover
- Take a trip to Kalahari Water Park w/ Fam
- GO to the top of the Sear’s Tower (for the first time 🙂
- Take a Navy Pier Boat Cruise
- Organize Contacts (Google Vs. Address Book)
- Clean out e-mail inboxes
- Update Teaching Certification
- CLean out/organize home office
- Get new eyeglasses
- Dentist Appt.
- Annual Physical & Gynecologist Visit
- Update passport
- Get an I-Pad
And although it’s not on the notepad I also plan to:
– Blog Weekly (every other day or so for DonnieNicole.Com, every Monday for DearLittleSis.com and every Thursday for ThinkLikeATeacher.Wordpress.Com)
For my fellow teachers, what are you planning to do this summer? For my nonteachers what are you most looking forward to this summer?