Last night I signed up for a 31 Day Fitness Challenge with Akisha Lockhart of All I Need Is One Mic. I signed up for a number of reasons but mainly because I haven’t been putting my health & fitness at that top of my priority list. In fact, when it’s time to start cutting, editing and making room, fitness is always the first thing to go.
I haven’t liked to work out since I ran track in High School, and my love for running track wasn’t because I actually enjoyed running. I loved running track in High School because I loved winning. I loved to literally kick up dust, and push my body – my limbs, my feet, my lungs to their maximum capacity. My self-confidence increased every time I cleared a hurdle. I’m not quite sure if I was running towards something or running away from something but running gave me life.
Now that I’m in my thirties, I’m much more willing to have tough conversations with my self. One of the tough conversations that I need to have with myself is whether or not I’m treating my body like I care about it. In fact, I would argue that except for the mini health vacations I’ve taken, I’ve neglected the things that my body needs most – stretching, cardio, water and healthy food.
I see older people who need walking aids. I’ve witnessed older people’s bodies only work with pills… lots of pills. I feel like terminal illnesses are peering over my shoulder, especially considering that High Blood Pressure has taken residence inside of my body.
I know there is no quick fix, but I’m tired of:
- Not feeling comfortable in sleeveless shirts.
- Feeling winded when I engage in minimal exercise.
- Aching feet, an aching lower back and tension in the shoulders.
- Feeling frustrated when I really want to wear something but all of the good sizes (my sizes) are taken.
- Grabbing a soda pop to cope with stress.
- Feeling like I have to crop my photos from the chest up because I’m uncomfortable with my midsection.
Weight creeps up on you and the older you get, the harder it is to get it off. As I join this 31 Day fitness challenge my goals are simple:
(1) To get at least 15 minutes of exercise a day. I will be using the video that Akisha recommended from Shaun T of the Insanity Workouts.
(2) To make better food choices (at least 7 – 20 oz bottles which equals a gallon of water, less sugar, little to no bread and no fried foods).
I don’t have any other outcomes at this time, but just wanted to share what I’m going to be on. Feel free to join us! This time next summer I plan to have addressed all of the things I’m tired of. I will be blogging about my experience here, on Instagram and on Snapchat. You can follow @blkgrlunmasked on all social media channels.
The first official day of the challenge is today, November 3, 2016. I hope you can join us, and please feel free to share resources, encouragement & tips in the comment section below!