I’m an introvert… so naturally that means that solitude recharges me. I’m also married to a public fugure, which by default makes me a public figure. For that reason I am extremely selective about who & what I allow into my life.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m very nice. I am also told often that I am easy to talk to & I give great advice, because I don’t share information that people entrust me with. I’m not as open about my private life & I’m also very careful about socializing & opening up.
You have to guard your heart, because it powers everything else in your life. I have to guard my heart because:
- I have committed my life to service, which means I have to have room in my heart for the people that I serve.
- As an organizational leader, I have to set the tone for our culture & I want that culture to be warm, filled with integrity & filled with love.
- Bitterness is an ugly poison that chokes the life out of relationships & opportunities. Bitterness is what happens when frustration, jealousy, disappointment, etc. pile on top of each other.
- I have step children & want them to feel nothing but light when they see & think of me.
- Eventually I want to have children of my own, and I want to give them the inspiration, optimism & fortitude they need to be the best version of themselves.
- I want to inspire people to be the best versions of themselves.
- I’ve endured enough disappointment & heartbreak which are wounds the heal, but scars that are visible. More disappointment & heartbreak triggers the memory of the past disappointment & heartbreak & I don’t want to live in the past or think too much about the negative.
- I’m interested in closing the gap between my dreams & my reality. It’s difficult to do that with a hardened heart.
- I don’t want people to get hurt trying to climb over walls or pry open the door to my heart.
The best way to guard your heart is to stay prayed up! To ask God to help you attract the people into your life that will bring you closer to his will. Also ask him to remove people from your life that intend harm or who may try to distract you from God’s will. The other thing is to pay attention to your heart’s alarm system… your intention! It will often alert you if there is a intruder or security breach!!!