I had the honor and the privilege to attend a lecture by Sister (Dr.) Angela Davis earlier tonight with my husband and several of our Donda’s House, Inc. students. I want to share some of the thoughts that resonated with me:
– There is a difference between addressing individuals who commit racist acts vs. addressing structural racism. Emotionalism often causes us to attack the individuals and as Dr. Davis said, it easily reproduces itself…
– We would not have free public education, if it weren’t for slaves…
– Harriet Tubman is a great example of a selfless individual who “ushered in the future that we inhabit today.” Dr. Davis wants us to imagine a world without any guns and without any racism… Harriet Tubman was referenced as an example of someone who put the needs of the community above her own needs. “We have a hard time imagining anything outside ourselves.
– Mass Incarceration is fueled by racism and the globalization of capital which is fueled by profit and not people’s needs.
– We can’t just address one part of violence or racism and expect it all to go away.
– “Unity + struggle + organization = victory”
My three she roes: Harriet Tubman
Mrs. Marian Wright Edelman: