*Uncrumpling My Speech* I am happy to be the recipient of a Sunshine Blogger Award! My best soror forever and friend Kandice (unprompted) nominated me. This award is a peer-to-peer honor where bloggers publicly recognize other bloggers who spread sunshine and motivation! So honored and humbled to be thought of for this. Analog Girl was born on April 14, 2010! I’ve always been an open book because I believe that when you’re open, you release a lot and learn a lot.
These are the rules:
* Reference and link to the person who nominated you!
*List 11 things you don’t know about me
*Answer 11 questions asked of me (in this case, I will using the ones from Kandice’s Blog)
* Nominate other bloggers
Here we go!!!
11 Things you don’t know about me
1. I’m not from Chicago. I was born in Jacksonville, Florida, spent the ages of 3 – 14 in Kansas City, Missouri and the ages of 15 – 18 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I moved to Chicago at the age of 18 to attend DePaul University and never left because Chicago is where I became a woman!
2. I used to do performance poetry. When I was in High School, I used to do shows under the pen name “Metaphor,” and thought I wanted to be a professional poet when I grew up.
3. I rescued a baby bird when I was about 6 or 7. Walked out of the house and saw him laying on the ground barely flapping his (or her?) wings. I put it inside one of those Old School orange pumpkin baskets, filled it with grass, would feed it water & go hunt for worms for it everyday, and it got better. After about two weeks, I took it into the woods and watched it fly off healthy. At my core I’m a nurturer and I rarely see people or things broken, and leave them that way…
4. My first job was illegally obtained at McDonalds. I started working illegally at McDonald’s at the age of 12 (in 7th grade!). They thought I was 14. I worked there for 2 years before moving to Minnesota.
5. I used to want to be a back up dancer. My cousins and I loved to make up dance routines when we were growing up. We would watch music videos and try to learn and perform the dances.
6. I was a pyromaniac when I was younger. I used to enjoy taking a can of hair spray and lighting a fire to it, creating an instant blow torch lol.
7. My favorite cousin and I built a tree-house complete with carpet and planned to move in there. I vividly remember us going around the neighborhood to collect wood and materials for our “house.” We create a full floor with chicken wire, laid carpet on top of it (and you could actually walk across or lay across the floor lol). We talked about getting a cable wire ran into it and a phone line. And then it rained and ruined everything… We hadn’t thought about the “roof” lol!
8. I heard that Venus & Serena are my distant cousins. I don’t know how true that is, but we do share a family name LOL! One of my cousins in Oakland worked security for MC Hammer back in the day when he was hot.
9. My great great great grandfather Syrus Williams was born a slave, eventually purchased his freedom and had over 23 children. The land he purchased in Happy Bend, Arkansas (near Morrilton which is Central Arkansas) is still owned and farmed by people in my family.
10. I’m an only child…. who is NOT spoiled and is NOT a brat.
11. I’m terrified of bees. Had a couple of near death experiences because once on a date, I ran my fully clothed body into a Lake in Minnesota to get away from a bunch of bees and once while in traffic, hopped out of the car at a stop sign because there was a bee in the car. I try to be more classy about my exit strategy now but you will hear a squeal if you’re near me if a bee is around. I was told once that I was allergic to bees and was stung as a baby and my whole body was swollen, so I only had to be told once as a young person and now I just get out of the way because I have no interest in seeing what would happen if I get stung!
11 questions answered…..
1. What is the first thing you do as soon as you wake up in the morning? Roll over and play crickets with my husband. We then do a “countdown” to get out of bed.
2. What is your greatest fear? Not being able to give birth to a healthy baby of my own…
3. Do you have a new years resolution for 2014? Transition full-time into Executive Director of Donda’s House Inc.
4. What is your favorite song at the moment? Its a tie between “Partition” by Beyonce and “Flawless” by Beyonce
5. What is your favorite childhood memory? Rollerskating at the Skating Rink (aka “Skateland” in Grandview, MO) every Saturday from 1 – 4 pm or 7 – 11 pm with my cousins.
6. Facebook or Twitter? Both… I manage several Facebook & Twitter accounts so I’m ALWAYS on both promoting the respective brands and organizations.
7. What did the last text message you received say? A message saying “Due to the extreme weather conditions, the ARK will be closed tomorrow and we are planning to reopen on Tuesday, stay warm.” The ARK is our community partner for Donda’s House.
8. What bugs you the most? Being late… In my mind early is on time. It gives me soo much anxiety to be on time (or late).
9. What do you consider to be the most important appliance in your house? Dishwasher. It has added so many minutes to my life!
10. If you could have one song that would play whenever you entered a room, what would it be? The chorus of Foxy Brown’s “Big Bad Mama.”
11. What’s your favorite movie quote? Darius Lovehall’s quote from Love Jones. When that movie came out I was a little philosopher so I loved that film: “Romance is about the possibility of the thing. You see, it’s about the time between when you first meet the woman, and when you first make love to her; When you first ask a woman to marry you, and when she says I do. When people who been together a long time say that the romance is gone, what they’re really saying is they’ve exhausted the possibility.”
And the nominations go to…
Life Your Way: http://life.yourway.net
Urban Mommy Inc: http://urbanmommyinc.com
Simple Honest Goodness: http://www.simplehonestgoodness.blogspot.com
Living A Resilient Life: http://comebackkid83.wordpress.com
Thanks for reading!!! Tomorrow we get back to our #worthythirty routine with 20 people you need in your life.