I wonder if I am the only one who thought of Jill Scott’s album “Beautifully Human” when I saw this prompt. Take a listen here: http://www.amazon.com/Beautifully-Human-Words-Sounds-2/dp/B0002S94RK
I don’t want to drive you guys too crazy, so I’ll make a short list of the 10 things that make me different/light people up.
1. My hometown is several places, I was born in Jacksonville, Florida, lived in Kansas City, Missouri, went to High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota and college in Chicago, Illinois. My family is also from Central Arkansas, so I claim “southern values,” midwestern motivation, Minneapolis introduced me to diversity and Chicago made me a woman.
2. I was born on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius, so I describe myself as an Aquarius with Capricorn tendencies. The “Capricorn” in me is stable, practical and serious, the “Aquarius” in me is eccentric, independent and idealistic.
3. I overcame great hardship to be where I am today. You can find a piece of that story here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/07/mothers.prison/index.html?iref=mpsto
4. I can forgive and move on pretty easily with those that I love, but with those that have some emotional/physical distance, when I’m done, I’m done. I guess you can say, I’m generally pretty extreme in my choices… I don’t really do gray areas.
5. I’m very rebellious… if I feel forced to do something I have a strong negative internal reaction.
6. Other people say that I make faces that make them laugh. I’m not very good at masking my true thoughts/feelings.
7. My handwriting is very nice and I always get complimented on it but I “practiced” years for it. I copied the alphabet well into middle school and often traced over & over the handwriting (letters, journal and yearbook entries) of people that I liked. One of my students once said it should be a font.
8. I love “hood” songs… my favorite right now is the “The Stanky Legg” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewufRwrayTI. That is the only one I’m willing to admit publicly…
9. I’m an idea girl… my head is usually in the clouds and I can daydream and fantasize for days…
10. I believe strongly in the power of words… I believe that we speak (and think) things into existence so I am very quick to say “Don’t put that energy out there” or “Take that back!” lol….
One for the road: I could’ve been a court stenographer. I took 8 years of keyboarding classes (starting at age 5), so I type ridiculously fast.
Now excuse me while I run so that no one prescribes meds for me or recommends a straightjacket.